Last Updated on: 1st November 2020, 10:58 pm
Why plastic skylights?
- Plastic materials are very advantageous these days.
- First, they can be produced from recycled plastic materials.
- Second, they can be recycled in the future to manufacture another plastic product.
- Third, based on the above facts, plastic is a cheap material.
- Fourth, plastic is durable and lasts a long time.
Do the plastic skylights have any disadvantages?
- Well, they do, but not very much. For example, many plastic skylights are defenseless when facing some chemicals (organic dissolvents, etc…).
- The plastic skylights even being very durable are not indestructible. Still, they do not break but you can scratch or grind them and some plastic materials used for skylights can lose their transparency over time.
Polycarbonate skylights vs. acrylic skylights
The most used plastic skylights these days are acrylic skylights and polycarbonate skylights. What are the differences?
- Acrylic skylights are weaker though cheaper.
- The polycarbonate skylights are more durable (and expensive) but they are less color-stable (loose transparency with age).